Guildford, UK, Permanent
We’re looking for a Technical Manager to support the growth of our studio and ambition of our current development portfolio. This is not a typical manager role (if there is such a thing) and we need people who understand that a great manager works for their team, not the other way round.
We strongly believe in people taking ownership and responsibility and that working together as teams to solve problems, achieve goals and deliver working software is critical to our success.
An understanding of the context of software development is key to this role and we are therefore expecting that prospective candidates for this role will have experience working as part of one or more software development teams.
Working with the core technical team to ensure the successful support of all projects, you will need to come prepared to do whatever it takes to help the teams to be successful.
It is a key part of the role that the Technical Manager inspires and motivates a diverse technical team to achieve the best possible results.
The role reports to the Operations Director, and is responsible for the central Programming Team, Technical Art Team and Engine Upgrade Team, with support, guidance and direction from the Studio Technical Director.
The ideal candidate will be a rounded manager, able to apply the correct balance to process and the development of staff to improve their wellbeing and performance.
- Completing and validating estimates for the work to be done based on the Design Specification, Tools and Production Methods
- Supporting the information flow between the internal team and appropriate Development Partners, including the briefing of those partners, and effective delivery and integration of the work done outside of the internal team
- Maintaining appropriate internal staffing levels to meet the technical needs of the series
- Planning and prioritisation of work to best meet the needs of the Game Teams
- Accurate reporting of actual and forecast costs and effort to enable the Studio to support with appropriate resources
- Managing the morale, motivation, and performance of the Technical Team including the Technical Leads and, through those Leads, the performance, development and wellbeing of around 15 staff members within that team
- With the guidance of the Technical Directors, identify and manage technical risk on the projects
- Support the Game Teams, Art Production Team, Integration Team and the Presentation Team with resource requests where practical
- Fanatical about details
- Meticulously organised
- Familiarity with a variety of project management and bug tracking software (e.g. Jira, DevTrack, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of Excel
- Passion for narrative-led games
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Obsessed with quality
- Creative and innovative