Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games have produced some of the most recognisable and compelling storytelling titles in the world of AAA games. The BAFTA-winning Until Dawn, the cinematic masterclass of The Dark Pictures Anthology, the multi-award winning The Quarry, the action-packed rollercoaster horror VR titles Switchback VR and Rush of Blood to the world of Little Nightmares, and many more!
Time and time again, our incredibly talented and passionate team have delivered games that strike fear into all that dare to play. And we have no plans to stop there! Alongside growing the Dark Pictures universe in new and exciting ways, we have several unannounced, and suitably thrilling, projects!
And so, as we move into new genres and grow our studio, our hunt for talent continues!
Join the Supermassive Games team and create your own story.
We’re looking for a Technical Director to join us here at Supermassive Games…
In this role you’ll be:
As the Technical Director, you will lead and oversee the technical development of our games and ensure that our technology solutions meet the needs of our creative vision. You will also be responsible for managing and mentoring a team of programmers and collaborating with other all other departments.
This role will be based in one of our three central Guildford offices - each a short distance from the main train station. We are truly a diverse and international business of more than 40 different nationalities from around the globe, providing sponsorship and relocation assistance to those that require it (speak to one of our recruiters for more info).
The main responsibilities will be:
- Elevating the stylised world defined by the Creative Director incorporating characters and environment through cutting-edge technology. We want to push the boundaries of areas such as hair and cloth simulation, cameras, VFX and lighting.
- Collaborating with the other discipline directors to provide a clear vision for the game, and help to communicate that vision to the team
- Providing pragmatic technical solutions to support the features of the game.
- Giving technical advice to help with project planning
- Working closely with the programming leads across the studio to ensure high quality code that meets the requirements of the game
Experience and skills that would best suit this position:
- Breadth of Knowledge – you have broad knowledge of game development, spanning both the technical and creative areas of production.
- Great Communicator – you are able to communicate clearly with, and get the best out, of groups and individuals. You are able to rapidly understand requirements and issues in order to accurately specify solutions.
- Skilled Engineer – you have excellent programming skills, but with a director-level perspective.
- Proven Background – you have been a major player in the production of AAA titles.
- Experience shipping games on console or PC. - you have detailed knowledge of the SDK and technical requirements of Sony PlayStation 4 and 5, Microsoft Xbox One and S|X Series, or high-end Windows PC.
Why join us?
- 25 Days Annual Leave (3 of which are used when we close the studio for our end of year break)
- Private Medical Insurance (BUPA)
- Life Assurance (6 x annual salary)
- Quarterly Profit related Bonus
- Pension Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Income Protection
- Enhanced Family Leave (maternity and paternity pay)
- Generous staff referral scheme
- Discount Card for food and drink at our local pub