Technical Artist (Rigging)
Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games is looking for a highly talented and enthusiastic Technical Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to create high quality animation rigs and deformation for characters, creatures and props, as well as working closely with the art and animation teams to improve the quality and efficiency of the content workflow.
- At least 3 years of experience as a Technical Artist, working on at least one AAA title
- Understanding of rigging pipelines and able to provide solutions to complex deformation models
- Understanding of art authoring packages and transitioning data to engine
- Experience using Unreal Engine would be an advantage
Key Skills and Responsibilities:
The main and routine tasks of this position are:
- Working with the animation team to define and create animation rigs for characters, creatures and props
- Own the skinning and deformation process for a variety of rigged assets
- Act as the bridge across both technical and creative disciplines
- Comfortable with all forms of character / prop deformation (bones, blend shapes, displacement maps, runtime cloth and joint physics etc.)
- Create tools and scripts which increase productivity of the animation team and other content creators
- Debug problems in engine and provide solutions
- Foresee potential issues and communicate effectively to department leads
- Critique assets on an ongoing basis to drive continual improvement and ensure quality across the game within defined budgets
- Additional knowledge of any of the following would be an advantage:
- Maya scripting languages
- Maya API
- Python QT
The candidate should have:
- A drive to constantly push art quality and try out new ideas
- Good collaboration with members of the animation and character teams.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
Why join us?
- 25 Days Annual Leave (3 of which are used when we close the studio for the end of year break)
- Private Bupa Health Care
- Life Assurance (6 x annual salary)
- Quarterly Profit related Bonus
- Income Protection
- Access to our awesome Games Library
- A hybrid work model
- Enhanced Family Leave (maternity and paternity pay)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discount Card for food and drink at our local pub