Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented and experienced Technical Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The Technical Artist will guide the content production pipelines and help maintain performance. This includes developing shaders, workflows and ensuring that art meets both the high visual quality required and performance targets.
- Optimising shaders and advising art on how to further optimise assets and other content to fit within the technical limitations of the target platforms
- Working closely and pro-actively with the art and tech team to improve workflows and processes
- Identify pipeline, workflow & build problems, solve them or work with teams to mitigate impact on the final product
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as Lighting, VFX, Engineering and Design to create a AAA game experience
- Lead research efforts to define and maintain art production pipelines and workflows
- Help define new art workflows and identify industry trends/best practices
- Be the point of contact between team members to drive cross-department collaboration
- Mentor and help teams in cross discipline work, ensuring best practices are followed
Skills and Experience required:
- At least 3 years of experience as a Technical Artist or related art role, working on at least one AAA title.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to create high quality artwork suitable for games.
- Solid knowledge of Unreal Engine is essential
- Experience of 3D modelling, and artist workflows including texturing
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of a physically-based material pipeline.
- Unreal Engine 4 and related performance profiling tools.
- Maya or equivalent modelling package.
- In-depth knowledge of modern lighting models, and how they affect shader creation
- Good knowledge of node-based shader editors and/or HLSL experience.
The following would be an advantage:
- Exposure to C++ and/or Python scripting
- Good understanding of 3D maths
- Good knowledge of Houdini & procedural content creation
- Experience with Substance Designer & Painter
- Knowledge of high-polygon sculpting tools, such as Mudbox, ZBrush or 3D Coat and the asset baking process
Why join us?
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Challenging and rewarding projects as standard
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games