Systems Design Director
Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
Supermassive Games is seeking a Systems Design Director to work across multiple game projects.
As Systems Design Director, you will oversee the development of critical gameplay mechanics such as combat, stealth, and conversation systems. You will oversee vital improvements to the “Three Cs” of game development - character, controls, and camera – ensuring that our 3rd-person games remain at the competitive edge of the genre. Working across multiple projects, you will provide expert support, guidance, and direction to designers, animators, and engineers, ensuring that the ambitions of our creative directors are met.
As an advocate for the player's experience, you will be expected to pursue quality relentlessly, and attempt to achieve it in every aspect of the game.
Working in partnership with the other Directors, and reporting to the Game Director, Creative Director, or a senior member of the Production team (depending on the needs of the project), you will:
- Collaborate to prototype core game mechanics that meet the requirements of a brief, and are innovative, exciting, and practical from an implementation perspective.
- Work closely with other discipline teams to clarify the vision, provide guidance, and make decisions that lead to successful and harmonious implementation of assets, mechanics and features.
- Support multiple teams in the implementation of core game systems, ensuring that the project vision is reflected in all stages.
- Enable the design team to consistently perform at their best by providing clear, precise direction with sufficient flexibility for individual creativity.
You will be pragmatic and able to evaluate process, with a proven ability to adapt, collaborate, and work constructively in solving problems across multiple disciplines. In previous roles, you will have successfully navigated the compromise between achieving the product vision perfectly, and achieving other important project goals, seeing your projects through to successful completion.
As a design director in the studio, you will embrace and overcome unique design challenges and help others to do the same, always responding calmly and constructively to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
The successful candidate is likely to be able to demonstrate:
- Several years of experience working with multiple game technologies/engines and tools and have a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities each offers.
- Expertise in the tools and techniques used to build games.
- The ability to direct teams in the use of best practices to create robust and well-structured content.
The ideal candidate will:
- Direct experience in the development of core game mechanics for a AAA title.
- Have a desire to develop further in their understanding of the games that we make.
- Be ambitious for the next step in their career in direction in game development.
- Demonstrate an understanding of approaches and techniques used to create world-class entertainment products other than games.
As a senior member of staff in the organisation, you will be expected to demonstrate exemplary behaviour by:
- Performing your role with the utmost respect for all employees, suppliers, and customers of the company.
- At all times, respecting and encouraging creative ownership and the generation of new ideas.
- Operating, always, in the best interests of the business, its goals, and its reputation.
Why join us?
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games