Senior Game Programmer
Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
We are hiring for a Senior Game Programmer…
We’ve harnessed Unreal Engine 4 and built a suite of powerful, world-class systems on top of it. Now we need you to help us take this further.
You’ll be engineering brand new features, from basic prototypes through to robust, reusable systems that underpin all of our upcoming games. You’ll also be crafting realistic and expressive characters, innovative game mechanics and smooth, responsive control systems for our stable of AAA projects.
In other words you’ll be playing a key role in developing our future games.
Skills and experience required:
- Expert in C++ - you’ve worked in the games industry with C++ for 5+ years, and contributed to shipped games on PC, console or mobile.
- Leadership – you are comfortable taking responsibility for understanding the technical requirements for the game and co-ordinating the programming effort in order to meet them.
- Great Communicator - you can talk about your work. You’ll be as comfortable specifying a task with designers and collaborating on a shared codebase with engineers as you are taking feedback from directors and producers.
- Practical - sometimes a rapid prototype is needed to quickly test an idea. Other times a mission-critical system needs detailed planning and consultation. You have an instinct for what level of engineering is needed, and you can work efficiently at any level.
- Passion for Games - you’ve probably been playing games forever. You understand an engaging player experience and are confident reproducing it in code.
We'd be impressed by:
- Wide Range of Experience. Knowledge of multiple game systems and their potential advantages and pitfalls. Experience with at least one game engine and associated tools.
- Experience with Virtual or Augmented Reality. How to work with motion controllers and headsets as well as an awareness of how VR changes traditional game mechanics and UI principles. Ideas for maximising the benefits of VR, without being hampered by the constraints.
- Knowledge of animation systems. Using blend trees, state machines and procedural systems to create believable human performances in software.
- Understanding of network coding for multiplayer games. Managing the state of each game object and providing a smooth, glitch-free experience to all clients.
- Experience shipping games on console or PC. Detailed knowledge of SDK and technical requirements of Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One or high-end Windows PC.
Why join us?
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Challenging and rewarding projects as standard
- 25 days annual leave
- Private health insurance
- Pension and life assurance x6 time annual salary
- Quarterly profit related bonus scheme
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games