Senior Game Designer (Level/Gameplay)
With a passion to deliver dark and compelling games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
We are looking for an enthusiastic Senior Game Designer to join our team and work on one of our exciting new projects! To take on a key role within the design team and be part of both setting the quality bar and the hands-on creation of exciting action orientated moment to moment gameplay.
This role is all about creating compelling game spaces, puzzles, and flow, including developing strong gameplay motifs, exploiting player mechanics, exploring scripted and AI character systems, level design and the creation of world manipulation puzzles. All with excellent pacing and challenge using key Unreal tools!
You need to be conﬁdent around Unreal Engine and have strong skills in Blueprints and creating great level white boxes.
The position is in-house at Supermassive Games in Guildford, UK.
Reporting to the Game Director your responsibilities include:
- Establish the quality bar across the game, in all areas of gameplay and environmental story telling
- Guiding, mentoring, and developing a team of designers
- Block out game play in white-box levels that define compelling gameplay spaces and locations to investigate and explore and then bring them to final quality
- Translate prototypes into game ready logic and iterate them to quality
- Script cinematic sequences, integrate animation data, instantiate cameras and other game elements and interactions
- Proven ability with Unreal and experience in the various Unreal tools, including those for level building, creation of cinematic sequences and blueprints
- Demonstrate experience of Game Design at a senior level on more than one published game.
- Enjoy a collaborative approach to game making, showing how you worked together with the other disciplines/team members to realize the best possible game play experience
- The ability to balance and adjust game content based on feedback and direction
- An eye for quality, be able to set a quality bar that the game design team can aspire to
- A logical approach and solid problem-solving skills
- Quick to adapt to proprietary software, workflows, pipelines, and tools
Other desirable skills and knowledge:
- A great portfolio of game design and game play work that speaks to our key requirements
- Several years of design experience in teams, working on several published games
- A passion for making games driven by stories, dark stories…
- Experience creating compelling puzzles and challenges
- The desire and knowledge to push for quality in collaboration with your team
Why join us:
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- 25 days annual leave
- Private health insurance
- Pension and life assurance x6 time annual salary
- Quarterly profit related bonus scheme
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games