Senior Environment Artist
Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
We are seeking a talented and experienced Senior Environment Artist to work on one of our exciting new projects and play a key role in the studio.
As a senior artist, you will work closely with the lead and art director to bring our cinematic worlds to life, with an emphasis on scene composition, atmosphere and environmental storytelling.
- Work with the lead to create high quality environments and assets that are in keeping with the art direction.
- Have ownership and be responsible for whole environments.
- Using production design to take environments from whitebox to final production quality.
- Act on feedback to bring scenes to a final quality in an iterative manner.
- Knowledge of the technical constraints of game production, to produce optimal assets and scenes, and willingness to give input into the technical requirements/boundaries for the scene.
- Creating appropriate and detailed props for character interaction.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as character, lighting and VFX artists, graphics programmers and level designers to create a AAA game experience.
- Helping with the planning and estimation of work.
Skills and experience required:
- At least 5 years of experience as a 3D artist, working on at least one or more published titles, preferably full project cycles.
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of high-end 3D modelling and PBR material pipeline.
- Detailed knowledge of the workflows and methods involved in constructing a high-quality game environment.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to create realistic assets, from individual props through to full scenes.
- A good knowledge of a modular workflow.
- Substance Painter / Designer
- Experience in Unreal Engine 4 or similar.
- Zbrush knowledge would be an advantage.
The candidate should have:
- Strong compositional skills and artistic expertise.
- A keen eye for detail, proportion and accuracy
- Ability to construct and manage a scene and to use judgement in order to save time via reuse and adaptation.
- Strong understanding of art fundamentals – composition, shape language and colour theory.
- Ability to work independently and to be self-critical towards one’s artwork.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- A drive to constantly push art quality.
- A creative and problem-solving attitude.
Why join us?
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games