Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
Supermassive Games are seeking a Production Director to work on multiple exciting new projects!
The role will be to support the growth of our studio and ambition of our current development portfolio. This is not a typical production role (if there is such a thing) and we need people who understand that a great manager works for their team, not the other way round.
We strongly believe in people taking ownership and responsibility and that working together as teams to solve problems, achieve goals and deliver working software is critical to our success.
The role reports to the Executive Producer responsible for the P&L of one of our studio groups within Supermassive.
An understanding of the context of games development is key to this role and we are therefore expecting that prospective candidates for this role will have experience working as part of one or more game development teams.
The role of Production Director is one of strategic and tactical oversight for all products developed with the group that include live ops and/or mobile target market, either in part or entirely. In this respect, you will provide expert management, support, and guidance to Producers in specific areas where you consider that they, and the games for which they are responsible, will benefit from an alternate approach or by consideration of additional parameters.
As such, you will be responsible for the personal development of a group of senior production staff, including those FTEs within the group responsible for Design and Engineering working through these people, and using their talents and experience to deliver the best results.
Working in partnership with the other Producers and Directors, overseeing the production, technical, and commercial processes, and outputs for a portfolio of products and services, and reporting initially to the Executive Producer, you will:
- Plan staffing and other expense requirements for budgetary approval
- Define teams, roles, and structure, and evaluate candidates for new positions, making hiring decisions for critical roles.
- Arrange, including putting appropriate agreements in place, collaborate with, and provide appropriate governance over, external partners and suppliers of services.
- Assess and ensure that the agreed goals for each product meet or exceed expectations in all respects, visually, narratively, functionally, and commercially during concept, design, and production phases.
- Devise, implement, and manage strategies and process for successful live deployment and lifetime support for customer-centric services.
- Consider which projects need further support for them to succeed and find ways to provide that support.
- Work closely with Executive Producer, the Managing Director, and others to develop the portfolio of commercially viable products offered by the group, whether these are developed internally or externally.
- Collaborate with other Producers and Directors on improving methods, processes, and product features that contribute to efficiency and/or quality improvements in the games being developed.
- Seek out internal and external creative expertise and solutions on behalf of the Senior Producers and their teams.
- Fanatical about details
- Meticulously organised
- Familiarity with a variety of project management and bug tracking software (e.g. Jira, DevTrack, Trello, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of Excel
- Passion for games
Experience in the following areas would be an advantage:
- Cross-discipline team management
- Delivery of mobile and/or live service games
You also need to be:
To enjoy working in our studio and to succeed at Supermassive Games, you also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Committed to quality
- Creative and innovative
Why join us:
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Private Health insurance
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games