Principal Environment Artist
Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
Supermassive Games is looking for an exceptionally talented and motivated Principal Environment Artist to take a lead role on an exciting, ambitious project.
You will be instrumental in overseeing environment creation for imaginative and fantastical worlds, as well as natural, believable locations – always aiming for best-in-class AAA quality, and a sense of cinematic presentation.
- Reporting to the Creative Director, you will be an integral part of the team – taking the lead on environment creation for the project. You will contribute both creatively and structurally, designing awe inspiring play areas and the workflows / pipelines which help to deliver them.
- Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee environment production pipelines and workflows for an ambitious AAA project
- Achieve visual results in environments assets competitive with leading AAA games
- Look for/advocate for opportunities offered by new tech advances in real time environment art, that can benefit the project
- Working out scope and approach, along with directors and production
- Mentoring a team of Environment Artists, helping them to produce great results
- Being an active part of recruitment for further environment hires
- Meeting all project deadlines as determined by the Senior Producer
- Be a figurehead for the environment discipline, representing it in meetings and reviews etc.
Skills and experience required:
- Great artistic skills, ability to ‘tell a story’ in an environment
- An eye for the detail and chaos that make a CG environment feel believable and natural
- An affinity for working with surfaces and materials - and understanding of how material choice effects art direction
- A in depth knowledge of environment production techniques for real time CG
- An expert level understanding of environment creation in Unreal Engine
- Ability to produce great work in a timely manner. Know which shortcuts and workarounds make the most sense, and which detract too much from overall quality
- Good leadership and mentoring skills
- Good communicator, who works well with others
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Always striving for quality
- Team focused
- Creative and innovative
Why join us?
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games