Principal VFX Artist
Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
Supermassive Games is looking for an exceptionally talented and motivated Principal VFX Artist to take a lead role on an exciting, ambitious project. You will be working on a game where VFX plays a key role, aiming to push boundaries of what can be expected in real-time VFX. As well as crafting artistically interesting effects, you will play an active part in R&D – always aiming for best-in-class AAA quality, and a sense of cinematic presentation.
The role is based full-time in our Guildford studio.
- At least 5 years’ experience in real time VFX creation for games with several published titles showcasing your work. Preferably experience in a leadership role.
- Reporting to the Creative Director, you will be an integral part of the team – taking the lead on VFX. You will be an active part of R&D as we look to achieve challenging VFX and play an active role in the creation of assets for the project. You will contribute both creatively and structurally, designing awe inspiring VFX and the workflows / pipelines which help to deliver them.
- Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee VFX production pipelines and workflows for an ambitious AAA project
- Achieve visual results in VFX assets competitive with leading AAA games
- Take a leading role in the R&D process for challenging tasks relating to VFX
- Look for / advocate for opportunities offered by new tech advances in real time VFX where it can be of benefit to the project
- Working out scope and approach, along with directors and production
- Mentoring a small team of VFX Artists, helping them to produce great results
- Being an active part of recruitment for further VFX hires
- Meeting all project deadlines as determined by the Senior Producer
- Be a figurehead for the VFX discipline, representing it in meetings and reviews etc.
- A strong artistic eye, able to judge when an effect ‘fits’ with the rest of the game render appropriately
- A knack for creating detailed and filmic ‘light and magic’ style effects which sit comfortably in a photorealistic render
- An affinity for working with particle systems and materials - and understanding of how these contribute to art direction
- A in depth knowledge of VFX production techniques for real time CG
- An expert level understanding of VFX systems in Unreal Engine / Niagara
- Experience of Houdini is an advantage
- Ability to produce great work in a timely manner. Know which shortcuts and workarounds make the most sense, and which detract too much from overall quality
- Good leadership and mentoring skills
- Good communicator, who works well others
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Always striving for quality
- Team focused
- Creative and innovative
Why join us?
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games