Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented and experienced Material Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to create materials and shaders that will be used across multiple games, ensuring that they meet the high visual quality required whilst adhering to any technical restrictions.
- At least 3 years of experience as a material artist, working on at least one AAA title.
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of physically-based material pipeline.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to create high quality textures and shaders.
- Experience of 3D modelling in a game environment, and the ability to produce game assets if required.
- Experience using Unreal Engine would be an advantage.
Key Skills and Responsibilities:
The main and routine tasks of this position are:
- Creating high-quality, re-usable Substance materials that will be used for environment models across multiple projects.
- Optimising shaders to fit within the technical limitations of platform and game.
- Working closely and pro-actively with the art team to improve workflows and processes.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as lighting and VFX artists, graphics programmers and level designers to create a AAA game experience.
- Substance Designer & Painter
- Unreal Engine 4
- In-depth knowledge of modern lighting models, and how they affect shader creation
The following experience would be an advantage:
- Knowledge of high-polygon sculpting tools, such as Mudbox, ZBrush or 3D Coat.
- Exposure to node-based shader editors and/or HSL/GLSL
- Experience in Python scripting
The candidate should have:
- A drive to constantly push art quality and try out new ideas.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Obsessed with quality
- Creative and innovative