Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented and experienced Lighting Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to take ownership of the lighting of environments and characters for one of our games, ensuring that it meets the art direction requirements of the game whilst adhering to any technical restrictions.
- At least 3 years of experience as a lighting artist or equivalent senior artist role, working on at least one AAA title
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of lighting in either real-time gaming engines or in high-end CGI productions
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to work with both realistic and stylised lighting/visual styles
- An excellent understanding of composition and colour theory
- Experience using Unreal Engine would be an advantage, but not a necessity
Key Skills and Responsibilities
The main routine tasks of this position are:
- Taking game scenes and lighting them to both a creative and technical brief.
- Help to drive narrative story telling through effective use of colour, light and mood. Using lighting to help convey emotional experiences.
- Working closely with the art team to improve workflows and processes.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as 3D modelers and VFX artists, graphics programmers and level designers to create great AAA game experiences.
- Unreal Engine, or similar (UNITY, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.)
- Baked and real-time lighting techniques in modern game engines.
- Working knowledge of rendering engines such as Renderman, VRay, Mental Ray or Arnold would be useful.
- Compositing and colour grading experience is preferred.
The candidate should have
- A drive to constantly push art quality and try out new ideas.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
To enjoy working at Supermassive you also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Obsessed with quality
- Team focussed
- Creative and innovative