Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games have produced some of the most recognisable and compelling storytelling titles in the world of AAA games. The BAFTA-winning Until Dawn, the cinematic masterclass of The Dark Pictures Anthology, the multi-award winning The Quarry, the action-packed rollercoaster horror VR titles Switchback VR and Rush of Blood to the world of Little Nightmares, and many more!
Time and time again, our incredibly talented and passionate team have delivered games that strike fear into all that dare to play. And we have no plans to stop there! Alongside growing the Dark Pictures universe in new and exciting ways, we have several unannounced, and suitably thrilling, projects!
And so, as we move into new genres and grow our studio, our hunt for talent continues!
Join the Supermassive Games team and create your own story.
We’re looking for a Lighting Artist to join us here at Supermassive Games…
In this role you’ll be:
Taking ownership of the lighting of environments and characters for one of our games, ensuring that it meets the art direction requirements of the game whilst adhering to any technical restrictions.
This role will be based in one of our three central Guildford offices - each a short distance from the main train station. We’re passionate about the collaborative environment here at Supermassive Games where we work to a hybrid model in many of our roles. We are truly a diverse and international business of more than 40 different nationalities from around the globe, providing sponsorship and relocation assistance to those that require it (speak to one of our recruiters for more info).
The main responsibilities will be:
- Taking game scenes and lighting them to both a creative and technical brief.
- Help to drive narrative story telling through effective use of colour, light and mood. Using lighting to help convey emotional experiences.
- Working closely with the art team to improve workflows and processes.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as 3D modelers and VFX artists, graphics programmers and level designers to create great AAA game experiences.
Experience and skills that would best suit this position:
- At least 3 years of experience as a lighting artist or equivalent senior artist role, working on at least one AAA title.
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of lighting in either real-time gaming engines or in high-end CGI productions
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to work with both realistic and stylised lighting/visual styles.
- An excellent understanding of composition and colour theory
- Experience using Unreal Engine would be an advantage, but not a necessity.
- Unreal Engine, or similar (UNITY, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.)
- Baked and real-time lighting techniques in modern game engines.
- Working knowledge of rendering engines such as Renderman, VRay, Mental Ray or Arnold would be useful.
- Compositing and colour grading experience is preferred.
The Perks of being a Supermassive Superstar are:
- 25 Days Annual Leave (3 of which are used when we close the studio for our end of year break)
- Private Medical Insurance (BUPA)
- Life Assurance (6 x annual salary)
- Quarterly Profit related Bonus
- Pension Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Income Protection
- Enhanced Family Leave (maternity and paternity pay)
- Generous staff referral scheme
- Discount Card for food and drink at our local pub