Guildford, UK, Permanent/ Fixed Term
We are looking for Level Designers to join the team at Supermassive, to work on new, as yet unannounced project.
This role is all about creating compelling game spaces, puzzles and flow, including developing gameplay motifs, exploiting player mechanics, exploring scripted and AI character systems, level design and the creation of world manipulation puzzles. All with excellent pacing and challenge using key Unreal tools.
You need to be conﬁdent around Unreal Engine and have strong skills in Blueprints and creating great level white boxes.
The position is in-house at Supermassive Games in Guildford and is available as a permanent role.
- Create compelling moment to moment exploration and action gameplay, interesting physical and logical puzzles and captivating level layouts
- Develop compelling gameplay motifs that scale and evolve in complexity and challenge across the game
- Block out gameplay in white-box levels and then develop it to final quality in collaboration with programmers and artists
- Create and translate prototypes into motifs and game ready logic - and iterate them to quality
- Using and modifing existing blue-prints to create new gameplay
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Competent using Unreal to create level layouts and experience in the various Unreal tools – you are a wiz with blueprints and love to create exciting gameplay spaces to explore!
- Demonstrate experience of a collaborative approach to game making, showing how you worked together with the other disciplines/team members to realize the best possible game play experience
- The ability to balance and adjust levels and gameplay content based on feedback
- A logical approach and solid problem-solving skills
- A solid understanding of gameplay, flow, and challenge/difficulty tuning
- Quick to adapt to proprietary software, workflows, pipelines and tools
Other Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
- A portfolio of gameplay and level design work that speaks to our key requirements
- Hands on design experience in a team, working on a published game
- A passion for making games driven by gameplay and stories
- Experience with puzzle design, combat design and action-based gameplay
- The desire and knowledge to push for quality in collaboration with your team
You also need to be:
- An excellent communicator with a proactive approach when seeking answers
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Obsessed with quality
- Self-motivated team player
- Proficient at technical problem solving