Gameplay and Physics Programmer
Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
We’ve customised Unreal Engine 4 to build a suite of powerful, world-class systems and tools that underpin our games. Now we need your help to take this to the next level.
We are aiming to achieve Hollywood production values in real time, so we’re engaging with industry-leading, next generation features for rendering, content creation and human simulation that will intensify the player experience.
You will be a key part of the team for one of our games. Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing game systems with a particular focus on the use of physics to achieve realistic interactive results
- Applying a deep understanding of industry-standard physics APIs to meet the requirements of the game and suggest new approaches
- Being involved at any stage of asset production from specification to platform-specific challenges
What we're looking for:
- Expert in C++ - you’ve got strong experience in C++, and have contributed to shipped games on PC, console or mobile.
- Excellent Physics Knowledge – you have in-depth understanding of the practical use of one or more physics middleware systems (e.g. PhysX, Havok) on a shipped game.
- Strong 3D Maths – you have a broad knowledge of the theory and practical application of 3D maths in games.
- Great Communicator - you can talk about your work. You’ll be as comfortable specifying a task with designers and collaborating on a shared codebase with engineers as you are taking feedback from directors and producers.
- Practical - sometimes a rapid prototype is needed to quickly test an idea. Other times a mission-critical system needs detailed planning and consultation. You have an instinct for what level of engineering is needed, and you can work efficiently at any level.
- Passion for Games - you’ve probably been playing games forever. You understand an engaging player experience and are confident reproducing it in code.
We'd be especially impressed by:
- Experience shipping games on console or PC. Detailed knowledge of SDK and technical requirements of Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One or high-end Windows PC.
- Knowledge of Other Game Systems. Good experience of other systems such as animation, player control or AI would be an advantage.
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Always striving for quality
- Creative and innovative