Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games are looking for a talented and experienced Game Director to play a key role in the development of a new title.
We need a proactive and enthusiastic team player to join our crew, someone who is looking to help us achieve excellence; collaborate to define and craft the vision for this title and take on responsibilities across the spectrum from formulating concepts to defining the quality bar in all areas!
The primary responsibility of this role is to collaborate with the senior project team to direct and help the game team achieve the quality and vision for the game.
The role of Game Director is one of creative leadership during the game’s concept, design, and development phases. You will provide expert support, guidance, and direction to a team that will benefit from your holistic view of the entire game.
As such, you will collaborate with the Executive Producer, and other senior team members, to develop both a game and a team development to achieve an outstanding product. As an advocate for the narrative and game experience, you will be expected to pursue quality relentlessly, and attempt to achieve it in every aspect of the game.
Working in partnership with the other project Directors you will:
- Collaborate to create and maintain a product vision!
- Work closely with other discipline directors to execute the product vision, provide guidance, and make decisions that lead to the delivery of a fantastic game.
- Support the team through-out development so that ensure that the project vision is reflected in all stages of design and implementation of art, animation, audio, game mechanics, play systems, user controls, narrative, and the elusive player experience.
- Encourage the team to contribute ideas, building and maintaining a team culture that is based around trust, innovation, iteration, learning, collaboration and sharing.
- Enable the team to consistently perform at their best by providing clear, precise direction with sufficient flexibility for individual creativity.
- While primarily responsible for the creative vision and quality, you will be partnered with an Executive Producer, and that partnership will be responsible for achieving the vision on time and to budget.
As a senior member of staff in the organisation, you will be expected to demonstrate exemplary behaviour by:
- Performing your role with the utmost respect for all employees, suppliers, and customers of the company.
- At all times, respecting and encouraging creative ownership and the generation of new ideas.
- Operating, always, in the best interests of the business, its goals, and its reputation.
You will be pragmatic and able to evaluate process and individual team members strengths, with a proven ability to adapt, collaborate, and work constructively in solving problems across multiple disciplines. In previous roles, you will have successfully navigated the compromise between achieving the product-vision perfectly, and achieving other important project goals, seeing your project through to successful completion.
As a creative leader in the studio, you will embrace and overcome unique design challenges and help others to do the same, always responding calmly and constructively to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
The successful candidate is likely to be able to demonstrate:
- Several years of experience working with multiple game technologies/engines and tools and have a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities each offers.
- Expertise in the tools and techniques used to build games.
- Experience of working on a game, film or tv series narrative (character biography, relationships, character arcs, plot key beats etc).
- The ability to direct teams in the use of best practices to create robust and well-structured content.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a desire to develop further in their understanding of the games that we make.
- Be ambitious for the next step in their career in direction in game development.
- Demonstrate an understanding of approaches and techniques used to create world-class entertainment products other than games.
- Have experience of contributing to PR for a game or company through press interviews or representation at public or industry events.
Why join us:
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Challenging and rewarding projects as standard
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Quarterly profit-related bonus scheme for all staff
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games