Game Designer (Cinematic)
Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
Supermassive Games are looking for an enthusiastic Game Designer to join our team and work on one of our exciting new projects!
We need someone who wants to be part of a team creating moment to moment gameplay and exploration, construct compelling scenes and dreadful dilemmas, craft interactions and build cinematic sequences to specification, with excellent pacing, using Unreal blueprints, propriety tools, logic controls and animation data.
You’ll need to be conﬁdent around Unreal Engine and have some familiarity with scripting languages and visual programming tools.
The position is in-house at Supermassive Games in Guildford.
- Proven ability with Unreal and experience in the various Unreal tools, including those for level building, creation of cinematic sequences and blueprints
- Demonstrate experience of a collaborative approach to game making, showing how you worked together with the other disciplines/team members to realize the best possible game play experience
- The ability to balance and adjust game content based on feedback
- A logical approach and solid problem solving skills
- A basic knowledge of cinematography and editing
- Quick to adapt to proprietary software, workflows, pipelines and tools
- Create the moment-to-moment flow and logic for branching narratives
- Block out game play in white-box levels
- Create compelling gameplay spaces and locations to investigate and explore
- Translate prototypes into game ready logic and iterate them to quality
- Script cinematic sequences, integrate animation data, instantiate cameras and other game elements and interactions
Other Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
- A great portfolio of game work that speaks to our key requirements
- At least one year of design experience in a team, working on a published game
- Previous game or film experience working in a virtual production environment on sequences and cut scenes
- A passion for making games driven by stories, dark stories...
- Experience with staging action-oriented and dramatic sequences
- The desire and knowledge to push for quality in collaboration with your team
You also need to be:
- An excellent communicator with a proactive approach when seeking answers
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Committed to quality
- Creative and innovative
- Collaborative across all technical, creative, artistic, and commercial disciplines
Why join us?
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive game