Game Designer (Mid-level)
Guildford, UK, Permanent
We are looking for a talented and experienced Designer to join the team at Supermassive, to work on a new exciting and unannounced horror IP.
If you’re a passionate game designer with a high level of expertise in Unreal and someone obsessive about designing amazing gameplay and levels, we might be able to tell you more!
This role involves the design and implementation of core game systems and mechanics, integrating motion capture data, and using visual logic systems within in-house tools to bridge compelling gameplay and story.
You need to be conﬁdent around Unreal Engine and its various systems such as Sequencer, ideally with some experience within level design and Blueprints.
The position is in-house at Supermassive Games in Guildford and is available as a permanent role.
- Design and implement game logic through visual scripting systems and in-house tools
- Block out interesting gameplay in white-box levels
- Create compelling gameplay spaces and locations to investigate, explore and survive
- Aid in the development of compelling gameplay systems that scale and evolve in complexity and challenge
- Iterate in collaboration with programmers and artists to push gameplay beats from white-box to final quality
- Author cinematic sequences to a high standard with a mind for storytelling and pacing
- Integrate animation data, instantiate cameras, and other game elements and interactions
- Create the moment-to-moment flow and logic for branching narratives
- Previous experience in a commercially shipped title with some experience in level design.
- Competent using Unreal with experience in its various tools to create compelling cinematic sequences and gameplay
- Demonstrate experience of a collaborative approach to games development, showing how you worked together with other disciplines/team members to realize the best possible gameplay experience
- The ability to balance and adjust mechanics and gameplay content based on feedback
- A logical approach and solid problem-solving skills
- A solid understanding of gameplay, flow and implementing game logic systems
- Quick to adapt to proprietary software, workflows, pipelines, and tools
- A portfolio of gameplay and level design work that speaks to our key requirements
- Experience using Blueprints in Unreal
- Hands on design experience in a team, working on a published game
- A passion for making games driven by gameplay and stories
- Experience with puzzle design and action-based gameplay
- The desire and knowledge to push for quality in collaboration with your team
Why join us?
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive game