Guildford, UK, Permanent
We are looking for a highly talented, motivated and experienced person to work on new, as yet unannounced project. In the role of Combat Designer you will collaborate with design, engineering, art and animation teams to create varied and compelling real-time combat. This position requires someone who likes getting their hands dirty in the engine and tools.
You have previous experience in a commercially shipped title with responsibility for both combat design and scripting.
You have experience of designing: the rules of combat, enemy behaviours (AI), combat motion fields, player attack trees (hand to hand, weapon based and ranged), levelling up and skill progression spectrums (for combat actions and equipment) and of course levels and spaces to exploit these systems.
You understand how to reach the goal of crafting rewarding combat encounters that lean into overlapping sets of rules, actions and abilities so that dimensions of enemy behaviour and character actions emerge in response to player decisions and actions.
You will also ideally be proficient in Unreal and have experience of motion capture for combat systems, the creation of combat state machines and the data that drives them.
- The ability to create interesting, exciting and varied combat experiences
- Experience scripting and level designing to craft combat spaces
- A track record designing and tuning combat scenarios and associated systems
- Knowledge in designing and writing scripts to handle gameplay systems, basic AI behaviours, state machines and scripted sequences.
- Demonstrated experience of a collaborative approach to game making, showing how you worked together with the other disciplines/team members to realise the best possible game play experience
- The talent to create game content that delivers a rewarding, visually exciting and exhilarating experience for the player
- Someone who actively seeks feedback to improve their work while also providing guidance and feedback to your peers
- The ability to iterate and rapidly prototype gameplay, and implement to quality
- Knowledge of modern combat techniques
Other Skills and Knowledge:
- 3 to 6 years of progressively complex combat design related experience
- A portfolio of work that speaks to our need and requirements
- Knowledge and experience with game development tools and scripting languages - ideally Unreal Engine
- A positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Obsessed with quality
- Creative and innovative