Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented Character Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to create realistic, photo-real characters for our projects, ensuring that all artwork meets the art direction requirements of the game whilst adhering to any technical restrictions. You will also be responsible for helping to define both the quality bar and optimal workflows for asset generation.
- At least 2 years of experience as a character artist, working on at least one AAA title.
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of high-end character modelling, sculpting and PBR materials.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to create photo-realistic character models, both at high and low resolutions.
- At least one complete example of a real-time realistic character, including fully realised skin, hair and cloth.
- Experience using the Unreal Engine would be an advantage, but not a necessity.
Key Skills & Responsibilities:
The main and routine tasks of this position are:
- Using production design art packs and concept art along to create highly detailed character models.
- Highly accurate modelling with superb attention to detail.
- Good understanding of real-time hair creation and knowledge of skin shaders
- Working closely with the art team to improve workflows and processes.
- Taking ownership of larger art tasks and seeing them through to completion.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as lighting and VFX artists, graphics programmers and level designers to create a AAA game experience.
- Marvelous Designer
- Substance Painter / Designer is an advantage.
- In-depth understanding of human and animal anatomy, including muscle positions (origin and insertion), bones and proportion.
- Good understanding of game topology, including edge flow and correct mesh creation for animation.
- Good understanding of the language of cloth.
- Excellent traditional art skills.
- XGen knowledge would be an advantage, but not required.
You should have:
- A drive to constantly push art quality and try out new ideas.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Always striving for quality
- Creative and innovative