Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
Supermassive Games are looking for a talented and experienced Audio Director to play a key role in the development of a new title. We need a proactive person to join our team, someone who is looking to help us achieve audio excellence, collaborate to define, and craft the vision for this title and take on responsibilities across the audio spectrum from formulating concepts and defining the quality bar to supervising production.
The primary responsibility of this role is to collaborate with the Creative Director and senior project team, to oversee all aspects of audio content production and implementation and direct and help the game team achieve the quality and vision for the game.
- Strong practical experience of all aspects of sound design and composition in a director or lead role in Film, Television or Games with several published titles
- Experience selecting, commissioning, and implementing in-game music, ideally working both in-house and with external partners
- The ability to inspire, direct and mentor a team of audio designers.
- Experience using Unreal Engine would be an advantage, but not a necessity
Reporting to the Executive Producer you will be part of the leadership team.
Key Skills and Responsibilities:
During Design & Pre-production Phase demonstrate:
- Collaboration with the Creative Director and senior team to devise the aims for audio quality and style of the game
- The ability to create, and/or direct the creation of, materials that clearly convey that style and quality as targets for internal and external stakeholders.
- The skill to consider and propose, where appropriate, new methods, techniques, and technologies to improve quality or efficiency in the production phase
During the Production Phase you will:
- Support the development effort in its creative aims without compromising its design, commercial and technical requirements
- Brief individuals on the team, with the assistance of other experts as required, on the aims for the materials that they and their teams will create, and how these will work and technically and mesh with other game components
- Collaborate with senior team members in the review of the game to determine the nature of any work or rework required to meet its quality goals
- Participate in continuous review and feedback of the title under development with the team.
- Create, and/or direct the creation of, materials that are consistent with direction and artistic aims of the game, these materials could include:
- Help to define and communicate a consistent creative vision alongside other discipline leads and directors
- Define the processes, pipelines and direction that will enable the team to deliver a high quality game
- Review and direct all content to achieve excellent audio that enhances the gameplay experience.
- When required, get hands-on in designing and implementing audio content.
- Mentor and upskill members of the audio team.
Support, direct and contribute to the generation of marketing and PR materials
- Wide experience of implementing sound into games using various game development tools, pipelines and technology.
- Proficiency with Audiokinetic’s Wwise.
- In-depth expertise with DAW and sample editor.
- Experience with ambient sound design and dialogue.
- Good recording skills for SFX and Foley, in studio and external environments.
- Good understanding of music theory.
You will need:
- A drive to constantly push audio quality and try out new ideas.
- A positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Committed to quality
- Creative and innovative
- Collaborative across all technical, creative, artistic and commercial disciplines
Why join us?
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive game