Audio Programmer - New IP
Guildford, UK, Permanent
It's a great time to join Supermassive games and this brand-new IP.
You will be part of an award-winning team. Supermassive has won a Bafta, several TIGA Awards, has been nominated for Best Audio Design at IGDA, Creative and Technical Achievement in Sound Design at the G.A.N.G awards and won Outstanding Sound Editing in a Game Cinema at NAVGTR.
There's a great opportunity for impact in this role. You will be joining the team as it is being put together in the initial stages of development. You will have a key role in the development of this new title.
We’ve customised Unreal Engine to build a suite of powerful, world-class systems and tools that underpin our games. Now we need your help to take this to the next level.
We are aiming to achieve Hollywood production values in real time, so we’re engaging with industry-leading, next generation features for spatial audio, rendering, content creation and human simulation that will intensify the player experience.
Working closely with the Audio Director and Technical Director, your responsibilities will include:
- Applying a deep understanding of Wwise audio API and tools to meet the requirements of the game and suggest new approaches
- Applying a deep understanding of Unreal Engine audio systems to meet the requirements of the game, extend the functionality and suggest new approaches
- Working closely with other disciplines to achieve the highest quality player experience possible
- Creating and refactoring game systems at a number of levels from production use to player-facing code
- Producing code that is based on high standards of readability, reliability and maintainability
- Apply your creativity and passion to help create world-class audio
What we're looking for:
- Expert in C++ - you’ve got strong experience in C++, and have contributed to shipped games on PC, console or mobile.
- Creative Passion for Audio – you love audio and you’re always thinking of ways to push the creative and technical boundaries of what is possible, aiming to create world-class audio.
- Focussed on Audio Quality – you feel comfortable being part of the audio team to implement and actively develop an efficient workflow that is capable of creating top quality game audio
- Technology Leadership - Able to propose and develop a clear audio technical strategy and code architecture for the project that works in the shared codebase
- Great Communicator - you can talk about your work. You’ll be as comfortable specifying a task with designers and collaborating on a shared codebase with engineers as you are taking feedback from directors and producers.
- Practical - sometimes a rapid prototype is needed to quickly test an idea. Other times a mission-critical system needs detailed planning and consultation. You have an instinct for what level of engineering is needed, and you can work efficiently at any level.
- Passion for Games - you’ve probably been playing games forever. You understand an engaging player experience and are confident reproducing it in code.
- You have an interest and experience with alternative, audio focused, programming environments.
We'd be especially impressed by:
- Experience shipping games on console or PC. Detailed knowledge of SDK and technical requirements of Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox or high-end Windows PC.
- Experience of using and extending the editor and runtime of Unreal Engine.
Why join us?
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games