Guildford, UK, Permanent
With a passion to deliver high-end cinematic games, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry. Want to join us on the journey?
Supermassive Games are seeking a talented and experienced Art Director to work on our exciting projects!
We need a proactive person to join our team, someone who is looking to help us achieve visual excellence, collaborate to define the artistic vision for this title and take on responsibilities across the art spectrum from formulating concepts to supervising production.
The primary responsibility of this role is to collaborate with the Creative Director and senior project team and direct and help the game team achieve the visual quality and creative vision for the game.
- Significant experience as an artist in the games industry, with several published titles
- Previous experience of directing art teams to a proven high level of quality
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of game creation from the practical skills of 3D modelling to the delivery of complex scenes and game worlds to AAA quality and an understanding of other key areas of the game art pipeline including:
- Production Design and Concept Art
- UI and 2D design
- Experience using Unreal Engine would be an advantage, but not a necessity
Key skills and responsibilities:
- During Design & Pre-production Phase demonstrate
- Collaboration with the Creative Director and senior team to devise the aims for visual quality and style of the game
- The ability to create, and/or direct the creation of, materials that clearly convey that style and quality as targets for internal and external stakeholders. Work with senior team members to develop and agree a visual style guide, or similar, as the bible for the creation of future materials
- The skill to consider and propose, where appropriate, new methods, techniques, and technologies to improve quality or efficiency in the production phase
- Support the development effort in its creative aims without compromising its design, commercial and technical requirements.
- Brief individuals on the team, with the assistance of other experts as required, on the aims for the materials that they and their teams will create, and how these will work visually and technically and mesh with other game components
- Collaborate with senior team in the review of the game to determine the nature of any work or rework required to meet its quality goals
- Participate in continuous review and feedback of the title under development with the team.
- During the Production Phase you will: o Support, direct and contribute to the generation of marketing and PR materials>
- Create, and/or direct the creation of, materials that are consistent with direction and artistic aims of the game, these materials could include:
- Visual effects
- User-interface and Presentation Materials
- In-game and Promotional Cinematic Sequences and Videos
- In-depth knowledge of the latest game art pipelines, techniques and tools, including Maya (or equivalent modelling package) and one or more of:
- Substance Painter / Designer
- After Effects
- ZBrush (or equivalent sculpting tool)
You will need:
- A drive to constantly push art quality and try out new ideas.
- A positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
Why join us?
- Quarterly Profit-related Bonus Scheme
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension and life assurance
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games