Senior Technical Artist
Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games are looking for a talented Senior Technical Artist to join the studio.
The primary role of this position is to take responsibility for the quality and efficiency of the character workflow, working closely with outsource content providers and the internal art team.
- At least 5 years of experience as a Technical Artist, working on at least one AAA title
- Experience achieving world class quality artwork in-game by providing technical solutions.
- Detailed understanding of rigging pipelines and able to provide solutions to complex deformation models.
- In-depth understanding of art authoring packages and transitioning data to engine.
- Experience using Unreal Engine would be an advantage, but not a necessity.
Key skills and responsibilities
The main and routine tasks of this position are:
- Able to collaborate closely with outsource content providers to define solutions and validate results in order to achieve quality.
- Evaluate existing and new techniques to increase the quality and realism of the character animation in game.
- Working with the animation team to define and create animation rigs.
- Act as the bridge across both technical and creative disciplines.
- Experienced in all forms of character deformation (bones, blend shapes, displacement maps).
- Create tools and scripts which increase productivity of the art team and other content creators.
- Debug problems in engine and provide solutions.
- Mentor and grow junior members of staff.
- Foresee potential issues and communicate effectively to department leads.
- Critique assets on an ongoing basis to drive continual improvement and ensure quality across the game within defined budgets.
Technical skills / knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of Maya scripting languages:
- Mel, Python, PySide, Python Qt
- Experience of character pipelines, character rigs and facial animation solutions.
- Authoring and maintenance of shading networks.
- Additional knowledge of any of the following would be an advantage:
- Maya API, Motionbuilder API, C#, C++
The candidate should have
- A drive to constantly push animation quality and try out new ideas.
- Good collaboration with members of the animation and character teams.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
You also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Always striving for quality
- Creative and innovative
The role reports to the studio's Operations Director