Senior Character Artist
Guildford, UK, Permanent
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented and experienced Senior Character Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to create realistic, photo-real characters for our projects, ensuring that all artwork meets the art direction requirements of the game whilst adhering to any technical restrictions. You will also be responsible for helping to define both the quality bar and optimal workflows for asset generation.
- At least 5 years of experience as a character artist, working on at least one AAA title.
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of high-end character modelling, sculpting and PBR materials.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to create photo-realistic character models, both at high and low resolutions.
- Experience using the Unreal Engine would be an advantage, but not a necessity.
- Some experience in a Lead capacity would also be an advantage.
Key Skills and Responsibilities
The main routine tasks of this position are:
- Using production design art packs and concept art to create highly detailed character models.
- Highly accurate modelling with superb attention to detail.
- Working closely with the art team to improve workflows and processes.
- Taking ownership of larger art tasks and seeing them through to completion.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as lighting and VFX artists, graphics programmers and level designers to create a AAA game experience.
- Substance Painter / Designer is an advantage.
- Additional knowledge of other material/surface tools, such as Quixel, Mudbox or 3D Coat, would be an advantage.
- In-depth understanding of human and animal anatomy, including muscle positions (origin and insertion), bones and proportion.
- Good understanding of game topology, including edge flow and correct mesh creation for animation.
- Good understanding of the language of cloth.
- Excellent traditional art skills.
The candidate should have
- A drive to constantly push art quality and try out new ideas.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
To enjoy working at Supermassive you also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Obsessed with quality
- Team focussed
- Creative and innovative